Sunday, March 13, 2016

Pinkletoes Workshop: Austin, TX March 2016

Last year around this time, I attended the Sense of Wonder workshop, and as I enjoyed learning from other photographers, I looked into other workshops I could attend a year later.  I’ve been wanting to bring more of a ‘lifestyle photography’ look to my work, and when researching this style of photojournalism, Pinkletoes tops the list for photographers to admire.  As it turned out, she was hosting a workshop at the time of year I was looking to attend, so I signed up! 

She hosted myself and 7 other photographers at her lovely home / studio in Manor, TX, and it was like a big weekend-long slumber party / photo-fest!  I met up with another photographer at the airport who was arriving at around the same time as me, and we headed into Austin for the big red bus tour with the time we had before the workshop was scheduled to begin.  The first night we discussed the business side of things.  Saturday, we watched as Michele photographed a newborn in his home with his family in the morning, had some amazing TexMex for lunch (I love TexMex, and yes, it was more delicious in Texas).  Then, she had a second photoshoot with a gorgeous family in the evening.  Sunday morning, we got to try some new things on a group of moms-to-be, and finally it was time to head home!

Here are some of the images I captured throughout the weekend.  The first few are from the double-decker red bus tour.  Look at those blue skies – I mean, come on!!! And how about that sun flare!?  1/250 f 22 ISO 160 for all you photography lovers out there.  You know it’s bright if you’re at ISO 160 at f22!
Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-0835Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-0848 (2)Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-0865
Love this one of everyone hanging out during our headshot session.Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-0876
Our adorable and sweet newborn model and his mama.Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-0948 (2)
I loved the SUVs with everyone huddled around on the top of the parking garage where the evening’s photo session began.  It reminded me of a scene from a movie.  And more blue skies.  Open-mouthed smileAustin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-0955
Michele doing her thing with this lovely family.  And look at that LIGHT!!!! Drooling!  I know I live in the sunshine state, but man, that’s gorgeous!  And I love the wind in mama’s hair and Michele’s skirt.Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-0959 (2)
And check out this gorgeous sunset out by the lake!Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-1008
A little behind the scenes of Michele photographing the family through those lovely purple flowers.  Disclaimer:  No trees were harmed during the creation of this photograph.Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-1012
And last, but certainly not least, our maternity session from Sunday morning.  I started off with this lovely couple by the front lawn and gate. Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048- (2)Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048--3
Next, I snuck in a few shots by the greenhouse.  Nothing grows in there b/c it gets too hot, but with those twinkly lights in the background and a beautiful couple in the foreground, how lovely!  Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-1129Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048--4 (2)
Next I got a few moments with this mama in the field.Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048--5Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-1160
I use selective color very sparingly in my work, but this shot just screamed for it.  I felt like the green grass behind her was competing with her face and dress for attention, so I removed the distraction.  I love the result.  Her dress stands out, but you’re still drawn to the sparkle in her eyes.  I snuck in a shot with her and the airstream next, b/c I just loved the reflections it offered.Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-1167 (2)
Snuck a moment with this couple too.Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-1172
A fellow photographer was capturing this pose from above as I was walking by, and I thought they looked so peaceful, I captured the angle from the front.  Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-1189
Then, as we were wrapping up, I walked with them to the front field, took some standard holding hands shots, then asked them to dance.  As it turns out, they were totally into it, and these moments are absolutely adorable and some of my favorites from the morning!Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-1198 (2)Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048--6Austin Pinkletoes Workshop So You by Erica Sue 2048-1210 (2)

No comments:

Post a Comment